The history leaflet informs us that the 'patterned tiles around the Sanctuary are a signature of Butterfield's work,
which, instead of stone, often used the alternative textures and colours of other natural materials such as constrasting clays for
tiles and bricks.' William Butterfield was a successful architect who was responsible for some of the alterations to the church,
completed by 1861.