Tip:  hold "shift" and click on link to open in new window
Tree Tree

 St. Peter 
Menu:
This Location:   Main Page   
Outside Pages:    Outside    Gravestones
Inside Pages:   Inside    Memorials    Thomas Spackman Monument
Related Pages:   Brief History    Wiltshire Collections Entry


   
Search surnames at   this  location or  all  locations

Brief History of St. Peter, Clyffe Pypard, Wiltshire


Church History

The following is taken from an information sheet in the church.



The Jacobean pulpit



Chalk figure


Wooden tablet


The Font


Thomas Spackman monument
The tower, knave, aisles and porch were built in the 15th century.  The chancel was re-built and a vestry added in 1861, the remainder was restored in 1874.  There was a rood loft over the chancel and possibly over the chapel until 1820.  Some fragments of the late Norman and 14th century stonework are to be seen over the beam in the south porch.  The knave has a fine old barrel roof with oak bosses.

The pulpit is Jacobean and a good example of Laudian work dating from 1629.



The screen is another of the treasures of the church and is of the 15th century.  Above it are two chalk figures kneeling in the old rood loft opening.  They are made "of the hard chalk of the place" and are traditionally known as John and Elizabeth Goddard.  However, Canon Francis Goddard adds that they might possibly have belonged to a monument to the Hunton family which owned Bushton in 1582 and stood in the east window and then removed to make way for the altar.

There is a 14th century tomb in the wall of the north aisle.  A brass in the floor near by resembles the Bettings horse brass at Meare dated 1398.  Recent thinking suggests that it is Sir Henry de Cobham, who lived in Clyffe Pypard in the 14th century.

Over the south door is a wooden tablet which was erected in 1605 to commemorate Elizabeth nee Fetiplace, wife of John Goddard.  Originally on the north wall of the chancel it was probably removed to its present place in 1874.

The font is a copy of the one at Over, Cambridgeshire, carved by Canon Francis Goddard.  The old font, now on the floor of the knave, lay discarded in the church yard for many years.

The foreign glass inserted in the north knave windows is partly Flemish and one piece may have been designed by Holbine the Younger, 1497 - 1543 and originated from Switzerland.

In the south west corner of the knave is a marble monument to Thomas Spackman, a carpenter and good friend to the village.  Note there is an extract from his Will on a board under the tower.

There are 6 bells in the tower with dates of 1604, 1735, 1825 for which there are three, and 1859.

Carving on altar screen



Chalk figure











The old font


Will of Thomas Spackman


Search surnames at  this  location or  all  locations



Tip:  hold "shift" and click on link to open in new window
This page was last updated on 21/08/2016
© Copyright D & M Ball 1999-2016
Website by  oodwooc Website Design